The Library Catalog
From the Library Home Page
Click the "Books" tab
Click the scroll down menu and select the most appropriate selection, for example, if you have the name of the author, select "Author"
If you want to look for books on a topic, leave the option "Keyword"
Type you words in the search box. For example: chinese art. The catalog does not discern between upper and lower letters.
The default in the catalog is to search material in Hunter. However, you can change the setting by cliking the scroll down menu and selecting WNCLN. This will search the UNCA and ASU libraries.
- Are books about or by artists
- Provide in-depth writings that analyze and/or offer context for the artist's work
- In the Library Catalog try a subject search using "criticism and interpretation"
- If you want to use a keyword search, try "analysis or criticism"
- Are useful lists of important research resources and often include an annotation with critical descriptions.
- Bibliographies cover the literature over a longer period, providing in-depth research that can lead to other resources.
- Some bibliographies explain research strategies and methodologies
- In the Library Catalog try a keyword search using " art and bibliographies"
- Offer a complete study of an artist's entire body of work, usually focusing on one medium
- Provide images for each piece described with date of creation, medium, dimensions and history
- In the Library Catalog, try a keyword search with "catalogues raisonne" and "name of the artist"
- Document museum and gallery shows
- Best sources for high-quality images
- In geneal they include information about the museum, artists, curatorial essays, interviews.
- In the Library Catalog try a subject search using "exhibitions"
- If you want to look for a specific catalog from a museum/gallery, search by the name of the museum/gallery (they are often listed as the publishers)
Browse the art collection
Most of the material relevant to art can be found in the “N” call numbers:
N Visual arts
NE Print media
NK Decorative arts
NX Arts in general
How to Find E-Books in Hunter Library
- Go to the Library Home Page.
- Select the "Books" tab.
- From the scroll down menu, select "Subject".
- In the search box type "art". Click "Search".
- You will receive a list of items.
- On the top of the results, you will see a series of scroll down and search boxes. Select the second scroll down box and choose "Online resources". Click "Search"
- The new list will now have only online resources.