Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Researchers affiliated with Western Carolina University are now able to publish open access in select journals at no cost to themselves through an agreement between Wiley and the 41 member institutions of the Carolina Consortium. Corresponding authors can choose from 1,400+ hybrid journals in which to publish research and review articles (see details below).
This page includes a list of the journals that qualify for covered article processing charges (APCs), additional information about the deal, and instructions for requesting a voucher. If you have additional questions, please contact your subject liaison.
Refer to the attached spreadsheet for a list of all journals that qualify for covered APCs.
Under the terms of the agreement, 700 vouchers are available on a first come, first served basis and will be shared among the 41 participating institutions.
To be eligible:
- The Western Carolina University-affiliated author must be the corresponding author (this includes anyone with a WCU email address).
- Your article must be primary research or a review article.
- You must publish hybrid open access by using Wiley's workflow (see below).
- Your manuscript must have been accepted on or after January 1, 2022.
To publish hybrid open access:
- Log in to Wiley Author Services and go to 'My Articles' once your paper has been accepted.
- Click 'Manage Article,' look for the Open Access card, and click 'Order open access'.
- Select funders for your article, if applicable. If you haven't received funding, check 'I did not receive funding for this article'.
- Add or confirm your institutional affiliation by clicking 'Add affiliation'.
- Select the appropriate copyright option and then select 'My APC will be covered by an institution or funder that has a Wiley Open Access Account arrangement with Wiley'.
- Confirm open access. If vouchers are still available, you will receive a message that funding is still available and be able to select 'Yes, make my article open access'.
For more detailed instructions with screenshots, follow the link below.